Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars
Phoenix Kart Racing Association
Phoenix Kart Racing Association ->  General discussion -> General -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poll What Cadet Motors Do You Own?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> GeneralMessage format

What Cadet Motors Do You Own?
OptionAdded byResults
Rookie Sportsman, KPV1 pipeBryan Casebolt3 Votes - [15%]
KPV/HPV1Bryan Casebolt3 Votes - [15%]
Rookie Comer 80 RestrictedBryan Casebolt0 Votes - [0%]
Vortex Mini ROKBryan Casebolt5 Votes - [25%]
Mini-MaxBryan Casebolt0 Votes - [0%]
Micro-MaxBryan Casebolt6 Votes - [30%]
Rookie Sportsman, 3 hole canBryan Casebolt2 Votes - [10%]
Comer 80, not restrictedBryan Casebolt1 Votes - [5%]
Add your own option:
This is a multiple choice poll.

Bryan Casebolt
Posted 2013-01-01 7:50 AM (#15959)
Subject: What Cadet Motors Do You Own?

Past PKRA President; PKRA Champion

What Cadet Motors Do You Own?

Polls taken on the web forum are non-binding and just used for informational purposes only. The reason for this is that anyone who is signed up for the forum can vote in them. We currently have 832 members of the forum and approximately 130 voting members of PKRA, it would be very easy for non-members to skew a poll on the forum. The best way to relay your opinions to the Board of Directors is by attending club meetings.

Edited by Bryan Casebolt 2013-01-04 11:48 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Stewart Willis
Posted 2013-01-01 7:52 PM (#15960 - in reply to #15959)
Subject: Re: What Cadet Motor Do You Own?

oops  poll

Edited by Stewart Willis 2013-01-01 7:53 PM
Aaron LaRoque
Posted 2013-01-03 1:40 PM (#15972 - in reply to #15960)

PKRA Secretary / Points

The poll I believe is to try and determine what class people should run for cadets, however, there are several of us who have two kids in the same class but only get one vote.
Curtis Ruth
Posted 2013-01-04 8:15 AM (#15974 - in reply to #15959)

PKRA Champion

The part of the question that is missing. Is...... which one do you plan at racing at PKRA in 2013? And is it at all of the races or only the ones that avoid regional and national events?
Stewart Willis
Posted 2013-01-04 8:26 AM (#15975 - in reply to #15959)

Not relevant at all... your question is skewed towards your rotax people because miraculously the Rotax Regional races are being avoided... as well as the practice weekend before these races, otherwise we would have had our first PKRA race THIS weekend.... Just sayin' I did not hear you complain that race 1 was moved.

But, I can speak for Anthony, Jude logsdon, Jackson Logsdon, Jace Jones, and Jagger Jones that we will be all running Mini Rok when we race at PKRA. I may run both Micro and Mini Rok if that can be done.
Bryan Casebolt
Posted 2013-01-04 11:50 AM (#15976 - in reply to #15959)
Subject: Re: What Cadet Motors Do You Own?

Past PKRA President; PKRA Champion

Actually my intent was just to try and get a feeling for what cadet motors are in the area, to see where PKRA may see growth. That is why I titled the thread “What Cadet Motor Do You Own?”. There was no intent for this poll to affect the race classes for the spring.

I have changed the title to “What Cadet Motors Do You Own?” and I have added this disclaimer to the original post above:
Polls taken on the web forum are non-binding and just used for informational purposes only. The reason for this is that anyone who is signed up for the forum can vote in them. We currently have 832 members of the forum and approximately 130 voting members of PKRA, it would be very easy for non-members to skew a poll on the forum. The best way to relay your opinions to the Board of Directors is by attending club meetings.

No one complained that race one was moved. When scheduling the season we did our best to not overlap other series but it is impossible to miss everything. I think most members were happy to have a longer break. I know that after putting on the last race and the banquet in December the Board was ready for a break. Building the schedule is a lot of work, discussions and compromise.

Stewart, I think it is great that you are considering running both Vortex MiniROC and Micro-Max. Please keep in mind that the Bondurant Rotax Max Challenge is a separate series from PKRA and requires it’s own registration. You will be able to pre-register for either series online and save time on race day.
Bill Cary
Posted 2013-01-04 2:49 PM (#15977 - in reply to #15959)

PKRA Member

I have two Yamaha Rookie Sportsman with single disc clutches in the garage, and two KPV-100 with new style clutch that can be converted to KPV-1 with a carb change.

Edited by Bill Cary 2013-01-04 2:50 PM
Curtis Ruth
Posted 2013-01-04 9:59 PM (#15978 - in reply to #15959)

PKRA Champion

I am not happy with the fact that the race this weekend was cancelled. I would have rather had a local event here. There are a lot of shifters, world formulas, and kid karts that are not going to be able to race for almost 2 months because of this. I don t think we should try to avoid any races out of town. I think pkra should race every 2nd and 4th weekend of the month, 12 months a year. If you want to do other stuff, then go ahead. Our club racing needs to cater to the people that want to race here. Good race days and consistent dates make the local product easier to market and stronger over time.
I am going to be here all weekend as well as next. I wanted to race on sunday here. With my friends and fellow members that would like to race here. But oh well. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and the club decided to cater to the 10 local drivers that will run there that normally run all of the club events.

Even without the rotax racers the track could put on events that would make money or at least break even. Thus pleasing the membership paying drivers that like to drive at home.
Jeremiah Davis
Posted 2013-01-05 12:27 AM (#15980 - in reply to #15978)

PKRA Champion

No one complained that the first race got moved because it got moved out of nowhere...and when it was revealed it was moved, the schedule was set - making complaining about it a moot point anyway. When the first rough schedule came out - which had the first race on the 6th - I don't remember reading anywhere that people wanted that changed. As a World Formula racer, who doesn't really have a ton of opportunities to go race elsewhere, I want to be racing whenever possible at PKRA. Why have such a beautiful facility at our disposal and let it sit for nearly two months with no racing? Having a club race on the 6th would've meant only one group of racers - the Rotax group - who normally race club races wouldn't be there.

And Stewart...how is asking what people are going to run in 2013 "not relevant at all" to the discussion? The conversation should ALWAYS center around not what people have sitting in their garages, but what people are going to bring to the track and race with. On top of that, I find it hilarious you hint that kart shop owners would be happy a club track was rescheduling so some of their customers can travel, when it's in their and their customers' best interests to have the damn club in the first place.

Lastly, I speak only for myself when I say this, but I feel like outside interests in the area get way more attention than they should. Those of us who come race the club races consistently aren't the ones traveling to run IKF or SKUSA. So maybe look within when trying to troubleshoot instead of whatever flashy events are happening elsewhere. I don't want to sit around and wait while the sun shines for the racing to start up again, when there's no reason we can't be out there.

We're racers. Let's go race.
Veerachart Murphy
Posted 2013-01-06 8:00 AM (#15981 - in reply to #15980)

Past PKRA Board Member

I wouldnt say it's a large amount of PKRA members that race national events, but enough so that I think it was a smart move moving the date. We want to attract as many racers as possible to a single race day event. There are hard expenses that get paid out of the club account regardless if 1 or 100 racers race. Obviously the more that race the healthier the club becomes. RMC is a prime example of this. We can run it on it's own date since it's a separate event but that wouldnt make much sense. The club needs to capitolize as much as possible from each individual race as there are a limited amount of them.

Some that I am fairly positive racing Gatorz this week:
Conyers
boyle
houston
JJ
Laroque
Murphy's
Stewart
McKinney
Rudolf (has been know to race club events)
Deleo
Depalma
Ruth
Lerch

Edited by Veerachart Murphy 2013-01-06 9:18 AM
Curtis Ruth
Posted 2013-01-06 12:46 PM (#15982 - in reply to #15981)

PKRA Champion

Of that list of drivers, if there was a race here on sunday the 6th that was club race #1 they probably would have run it. Or just use it as a drop. The rest of the drivers that do not run rmc suffer accordingly. As does the club in general not taking advantage of the weather and the ability to race instead of hibernate.

The bottom line is that it is in the club's best interest to have profitable races. I agree with this.

It is also in the clubs best interest to have as many races for its' membership as possible. Letting the members take advantage of their membership.

2 times a month year round. Maybe just once a month in july and august. Otherwise solid. The more racing, the more chances we have to get new people interested and excited to join PKRA and get involved. The races bring in the members. Wheather they end up racing or not is another story. But the racing lights the flame. Time after time.
Bernie Lacotta
Posted 2013-01-06 1:25 PM (#15983 - in reply to #15959)

PKRA Board Member

Agreed!
Mike DePalma
Posted 2013-01-06 3:58 PM (#15984 - in reply to #15959)

Past PKRA Vice President

I suggested we advertise on the electroic billboards. It would take an investment from the club and the kart shops on a trial basis. But quite honestly you could have races every weekend, two times a month or whatever you want and your going to have the same amount of racers maybe even less if you have more events. If you dont let people know that there is a race track in town no one will come. Many times I have spoke with people about PKRA and they never knew that it existed. The kart shops should make an investement and advertise a little as well as the club. For us to ask the club BOD to do all of the work is an impossibility. They are volunteers that are just tring to keep everything a float. Most of the members have no idea what it takes to put on a race nor how much work it is. We dont have enough people helping on race day right now in my opinion. Many of the rules and regulations dont get followed because we dont have enough workers policing the activities. Who wants to race all the time and have no enforcement of policies, you may as well just practice. Just an opinion
Bill Cary
Posted 2013-01-07 12:55 AM (#15986 - in reply to #15959)

PKRA Member

Racers who are committed to the Regional and National Events shouldn't care what is going on at the local club level so the club should schedule 2 races a month.

Edited by Bill Cary 2013-01-07 12:56 AM
Veerachart Murphy
Posted 2013-01-07 7:44 AM (#15987 - in reply to #15986)

Past PKRA Board Member

Bill : I can only speak for myself, but we do care as we run both. But you are correct that if it boils down to it we will attend the national event over the club race.

Mike: I really like this idea especially the electronic one right before our exit north bound. But the last time I looked into this years ago for my business it was $5000/ mo to get up there. Maybe costs have come down or maybe we have a member that has a connection. Thinking along these lines Norterra has a car show once a month that if we could rally a few karters there to promote our sport and our track, this would really be benificial to PKRA. Bernie i know your guys are gungho and would volunteer and so would we.

Curtis: I understand the logic, new members draw in membership dues, but if an individual race doesn't make a profit our black can quickly turn into red. Dont get me wrong I want as many club races as possible too. But PKRA should not put on a race to keep the shops healthy at a detriment to the club. It should be healthy for both. Also the race did not get cancelled just moved. So the same amount of necessaties will be purchased from shops, potentially even more so since the first race is pushed out to allow for more practicing and to allow additional karters to race.

Jeremiah: It's not about flashy events in the area like a national race. Its really about anything conflicting that potentially would not turn racers out to the track. Holidays, superbowl, Nascar, ect...I am on two boards and any BOD must be good stewards of the clubs finances. Yes' it not our money but a good BOD would treat it as if it were. And thats what I think we have done here. I think members should be more concerned had the BOD actually put on this race and the club potentially lose money due to low turn out.

We are all racers. Racers want to....well, race. But long term if the club does not exists due to finances. Where would we race. This is not just a delusion of mine. This club has approached this point in the past, just ask Bill W. we were that close to no PKRA.
Curtis Ruth
Posted 2013-01-07 8:00 AM (#15988 - in reply to #15987)

PKRA Champion

The cadet class topic is definately a bit scewed at this time. The cadets that want to race need to get together, find out what they want to run. The bod needs to then recognize this, make it the class option, then move forward promoting it accordingly. The trendy motor of the month is not healthy for our club to be able to promote a stable class limeup to racers and potential racers. If you do not want to get this chosen package, or can't, then that is just what it is. The track is open 6 days a week for practice. On Race Days we only run certain ones. It is the only way to condense the race day into a usable format that can please the masses.

The goal is to be able to produce a Race Day product that provides close action, fair competition, maximum laps, and the shortest possible timeframe so families are not at the track from sun up to sun down. Streamlining the structure is the only way to do this.

On a side note. If you race, think about what got you into kart racing and interested in Pkra Racing. I would be willing to bet that over 90 percent of people that own karts that race know or knew someone who already raced before they entered. Or they came in through indoor racing which has a huge advertising budget. The people that take the plunge don't just blimdly come in off the street and get involved from seeing a sign or an ad in the newspaper. Word of mouth and passion for karting are what bring people in that actually make the purchase and continue in kart racing on a competetive level. Just think back to who you knew before you ever got involved.
Veerachart Murphy
Posted 2013-01-07 8:43 AM (#15989 - in reply to #15959)

Past PKRA Board Member

Im sure topic for discussion for tonights BOD meeting. I'd really like to see two classes per age grouping. A Rotax option and then a "IKF" or low budget option if you would. I think there are many out there that if this were the case would race both classes in their age group.
Curtis Ruth
Posted 2013-01-07 10:14 AM (#15990 - in reply to #15989)

PKRA Champion

Not to beat a dead horse, but over a years period of time, racing all of the local races competetively, the Rotax is the "Low Budget" option. You only need 1 engine and no rebuilds. No starter. No clutch maintainance that costs any money. I as a shop owner can sell all of the different options to kart owners. Over the long haul you have to look at what makes sense to the owner to enjoy more driving with less labor and wrenching and more fun. Why not take advantage of modern technology that have made karting more enjoyable like electric starters, water cooling, smooth running, and durability?

What do the guys that plan on racing have to say? That is the dillemma. Only the squeaky wheel is heard. Either way the choice needs to be made so we can move forward and promote stability in our structure instead of a different package every 6 months.

Edited by Curtis Ruth 2013-01-07 1:32 PM
Erica Odello
Posted 2013-01-07 10:15 AM (#15991 - in reply to #15959)

I have a few years of experience running a racing club but in another discipline. One thing I learned during my time was that the more frequently we held races, the fewer people we had show up for each individual race. When there's a long season schedule of racing, everyone starts off excited but as the season wears on, people get tired, stuff breaks, they run out of money, their S/Os get annoyed with them... the list goes on. They also tend to pick and choose which races they'll attend because race days are so plentiful. I think it's good and healthy for the club as a whole to have real breaks between seasons.

As an example, I really enjoyed the 2012 Spring season because we had a race every 3-4 weeks. The 2012 Fall season was exhausting and very expensive with races every 2 weeks. My family purposefully missed a lot more races in the Fall because they just kept coming. I was never so happy to hit November and have a month break before the last race in December which also happened to be the first race I'd looked forward to since early October.

It's also VERY important to remember that if you've never been on the management side of a race club, the racing doesn't stop for them when the gates are finally closed and locked and we're all headed home. For every hour we spend on race day there are dozens more the BOD spends in planning and cleaning up and putting out fires and a million other things that only affect us racers indirectly. It's a huge, exhausting, largely thankless job and burnout is almost inevitable. We may be ready to race early in January but the BOD is likely still decompressing from the last round and they are entitled to a rest.

One last random paragraph, I appreciate this poll because I have a daughter who may be racing soon and this is an easy way for us to see what cadet class to put her in. I can't tell who's who on race day and this is very helpful. Thanks for this!
Veerachart Murphy
Posted 2013-01-07 10:29 AM (#15993 - in reply to #15990)

Past PKRA Board Member

Curtis Ruth - 2013-01-07 10:14 AM

Not to beat a dead horse, but over a years period of time, racing all of the local races competetively, the Rotax is the "Low Budget" option. You only need 1 engine and no rebuilds. No starter. No clutch maintainance that costs any money. On and on.

What do the guys that plan on racing have to say? That is the dillemma. Only the squeacky wheel is heard.

Curtis Im glad you said it especially coming from a shop owner this is what I have been trying to preach about the Rotax this entire time. But even Rotax drivers need tires,fuel, oil, chains, plugs (I go through plugs like crazy), throttle cable, ect.
Bernie Lacotta
Posted 2013-01-07 10:44 AM (#15994 - in reply to #15959)

PKRA Board Member

I'll admit I may not be the norm by today's standards but I raced at all 16 of the clubs events last season AND did an additional 14 races at other facilities. Obviously I have no problem with 2 races per month. I like to race...a lot. One of my biggest reasons for racing World Formula is that it allows me to do so. Financially my biggest expense was traveling to other facilities. While it is fun,I'd prefer more racing at PKRA. Again,I realize I'm far from today's "norm".
Curtis Ruth
Posted 2013-01-07 4:36 PM (#15995 - in reply to #15959)

PKRA Champion

Here is a list of schedules when we had record consistent turnout and great racing action with minimal classes via a streamlined class structure. I understand that the economy had a significant effect, but things were always busy at PKRA and the locals ran local. Never a dull moment ad the ability to take 2 drops and still run for a championship.

(Photos taken from PKRA printed newsletter available to all members at the time. This is another discussion topic all together.)

2004-05

2004-05w

Edited by Curtis Ruth 2013-01-07 5:04 PM
Don Griffin
Posted 2013-01-08 4:20 PM (#16000 - in reply to #15959)

Those were the good old days.
Rob Salthouse
Posted 2013-01-10 9:15 AM (#16002 - in reply to #15959)

PKRA Member

We seem to have strayed from the Cadet motor topic but I beleive that when we had the best attendance we also had a winter (day race) and a summer (night race) season split and we ran two heats and a main.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Registered to: Phoenix Kart Racing Association 2009
(Delete all cookies set by this site)