Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars
Phoenix Kart Racing Association
Phoenix Kart Racing Association ->  General discussion -> Kids Karts -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Neck Protection
Moderators: Bryan Casebolt

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Kids KartsMessage format

Erica Odello
Posted 2012-09-10 11:53 AM (#15588)
Subject: Neck Protection

Hi everyone,

I'd like some opinions on the myriad of neck protection options for our kids. One of my daughters will be racing soon and while I think the donut is fine for practice I'd like her to have something better for competition.

I personally have a Leatt neck brace that I use for MX but four wheels seem to have a number of other options that I'm not as familiar with.

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Aaron LaRoque
Posted 2012-09-12 8:20 AM (#15593 - in reply to #15588)
Subject: RE: Neck Protection

PKRA Secretary / Points

I don't think the donut is fine anytime. If you would have seen the kid kart crash last night during practice (and maybe you did, it might have been your daughter also involved in the crash), you would want the best for your kid, no donut. It was scary, the kid flipped in the kart, then kartwheeled out of the kart a couple times, hitting his head, and then rag dolled on the track. I personally have my son using the Leatt Brace, and my daughter uses the Valhalla 360. I also dirt bike and I use the Leatt Brace. In m opinion, the neck is as important to protect as the head.

Edited by Aaron LaRoque 2012-09-12 8:24 AM
Erica Odello
Posted 2012-09-12 9:08 AM (#15594 - in reply to #15588)
Subject: Re: Neck Protection

Yup, that was me and my daughter last night, I had a front row view of that crash. I agree, no more donut for practice either and while we're at it, we're going to get an upgraded rear bumper that extends out to the edge of the tires. I think we'll go with the EVS R4 neck brace while the girls are still small and likely upgrade to the Valhalla when they're bigger.

Edited by Erica Odello 2012-09-12 9:10 AM
Mike DePalma
Posted 2012-09-12 9:56 AM (#15595 - in reply to #15588)

Past PKRA Vice President

Erica

I have a Valhalla 360 that I want to sell if you are interested. 623-680-1670
Robert Mather
Posted 2012-09-12 10:17 PM (#15603 - in reply to #15588)

Mike, i might be looking for one as well for Robbie. Let me know if you haven't sold it.
Cliff Kujala
Posted 2012-09-13 8:03 AM (#15604 - in reply to #15588)

PKRA Vice President; PKRA Champion

Just make sure that your "protection" does not limit the range of motion so much that the driver can no longer check their blind spot. From my experience, (and my non scientifically tested opinion) drivers that cannot easily turn their head to check for other karts coming up the inside of them have decreased peripheral vision field. This seams to increase the amount of crashes they are then involved in. So one always must evaluate at which point will a proclaimed safety device become an unsafety device due to the decreased ability to avoid incident.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Registered to: Phoenix Kart Racing Association 2009
(Delete all cookies set by this site)