Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars
Phoenix Kart Racing Association
Phoenix Kart Racing Association ->  General discussion -> Shifter Karts -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Newbie Info
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Shifter KartsMessage format

Chris Piper
Posted 2012-08-30 10:16 PM (#15530)
Subject: Newbie Info

Hi PKRA,

I'm new to shifter kart racing and would like to know what are some great resources to get my head wrapped around the different classes, understanding the chassis differences, setups, etc. I'm not new to racing, so I'm primarily looking for more info about the shifter karts themselves and not general racing info. I'm hoping to join you all in the Spring series, probably in Super Sportsman, but I still need to get a better understanding of all the classes too.

Thanks in advance -
Chris
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Chris Piper
Posted 2012-09-02 2:40 PM (#15539 - in reply to #15530)
Subject: Re: Newbie Info

33 views and no insights? C'mon...
Rich Bowen
Posted 2012-09-02 9:34 PM (#15543 - in reply to #15539)

PKRA Champion; PKRA Training Director

Hi Chris,
Welcome to PKRA and Kart racing. I had the same questions as it looks like you do when I first got involved. And I still can not find any easy place to go to get info. The more I learn the more I find there is to learn.

From what you posted I think you are interested in "Karts" in general. Shifter Karts being one general group of Karts, multi gear, thus shifter, which has many "classes" and mortors within it. Super Sportsman is a group of classes using one type of motor, the Yamaha KT100, one speed, no gearbox, air cooled (some of the classes, Rookie Sportsman, Jr. Super Sportsman, Super Sportsman, Super Sportsman Heavy). At PKRA we run the Rookie Sportsman (ages 8-11)Super Sportsman (ages 16 and up). There are several different chassis, by several makers.

I have found the best way to start, if you haven't yet , is come to a race at PKRA. Next one is next Saturday, the 8th. gates open at 1:00PM. Racing starts about 4:30PM. Pay to get into the pit area and spend the day talking to racers. You will get to know what is the best class to run and why all the other "best" classes are not the best. Listen and watch.

Then spend some time at the local shops. Talk to the owners. See what chassis they support, you will need them. You don't really want to own a kart that you can't get parts locally. Some of the shops have books or mags that have good information.

I hope this helps you get started.

Edited by Rich Bowen 2012-09-02 9:39 PM
Chris Piper
Posted 2012-09-03 12:03 PM (#15548 - in reply to #15543)

Hey Rich,

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised there isn't an online resource with all this type of beginner info, seeing how popular kart racing is in the US with some huge bodies sanctioning the series/events. I was under the impression that Super Sportsman was a shifter kart class, but it appears I was wrong. I'll be out of town for the next race, but I'll make a point to be at the next one that I can.

If I am 26 years old and want to run a shifter kart (so, not a TaG or Rotax) which class would that put me in? Does that narrow it down to only Stock Honda Shifter Light?
Curtis Ruth
Posted 2012-09-03 12:41 PM (#15549 - in reply to #15530)

PKRA Champion

For the Shifterkart categories, we offer Stock Honda light, Stock Honda heavy, and an Open shifter category for ICC engines and Modified motos. They all run at the same time. This allows the club to have a place for anyone. The Stock Honda classes are more of the trend over the last 4 -5 years across the country due to their low maintainance costs, high reliability, and competetiveness.

You will need to sort out your equipment to find out which direction you will be going. Be it Stock Honda based, or other options. There are alot of ICC and mod motos in the used market, but lots of good Stock Honda units out there as well. The Stock Honda direction is definatley the direction I would go, as it opens up your options on having more competition to run with.

The Super Sportsman category is a single speed Yamaha KT100 air cooled kart engine class with regulations that keep it close, competetive, and cost effective. More for the entry level and club drivers. Definately a great place to start when getting into karting to develop the skills needed to succeed in higher power classes.

You will need to come out to a race like Rich said to fully wrap your head around the different classes and find out what is going to fit your desires, interest, and most importantly your budget. The RACE day experience will really help to clarify that.

Good luck in your karting adventures. Hope to see you out there soon.
Chris Piper
Posted 2012-09-03 3:40 PM (#15550 - in reply to #15530)

Good to know Curtis, it sounds like Stock Honda is the way to go. I've raced TaGs and Formula SAE previously, which is why I'm looking at shifter karts versus an entry level class. I'll also be attending Bondurant's shift kart school before I hit the track to help shake off the cobwebs. I've been meaning to stop by Innovative Karting to take a look around and get to know some of the other locals, so hopefully I'll bump into you there soon.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Registered to: Phoenix Kart Racing Association 2009
(Delete all cookies set by this site)